Using WordPress Is a Good Long Term Strategy for Maintaining a Website
WordPress gives flexability, security and functionalty. It is useful for simple or complex websites for the novice developer. Have a go yourself at setting it up or get us to do it for you and apply some more complex settings so you can start adding your content, hassle free.
Find a Suitable 3rd Party Theme for Your Site
One of the first things to do is choose a theme. Both free and premium themes are available. Premium themes offer more functionality which can help save development time and costs.
We are not associated in anyway with the WordPress theme providers listed below.
List of quality Premium themes available on Envato.com ThemeForest
Envato theme prices are in USD$. Premium themes cost around $90 AUD after exchange rate conversion and GST.
Premium themes are more like extended content builders than template layouts however most do offer prebuilt template layouts. They are worth the money for extended features and ongoing feature updates and bug and security fixes. However free themes often do the job just fine too. The choice between a free or premium theme may come down to your budget or design requirements.
Free Stock Photos
If you need images for your site check Pexels for a good range of free stock photos. If your budget permits, there are plenty of premium stock photo sites to choose from once you start searching Google.
You Can Install WordPress Very Quickly Via Your cPanel Control Panel
1. Log in to your cPanel either directly https://www.yourdomain.com.au/cpanel or via your account login.
2. Once logged in, at the bottom of the main page, in the "Softaculous Scripts" section, you will see a link to WordPress. Click it.
3. Click "Install" near the top left.
4. On the following page there are a few options to select.
5. Towards the top of the page, leave the "In directory" field empty to make WordPress your homepage. eg. To install at https://mydomain.com.au leave "In directory" empty. If you don't want WordPress as your homepage straight away then install it in a directory/folder eg. To install at https://mydomain.com.au/site just type "site". You can make it your homepage later after you finish development.
6. Change the Admin Username and Admin Password. Choose a username that is not admin, eg. jimsmith. Choose a strong password and take note of it so you can login later.
7. In the Select Plugins area, tick on the "Limit Login Attempts" to add security.
8. At the very bottom of the page, enter your email address to receive a copy of the installation details.
9. Click Install.
After installation we recommend changing a couple of settings before you start adding content. Login to the WordPress dashboard and change the following settings.
1. Go to Settings->Media, in the left menu and untick "Organise my uploads into month- and year-based folders" then click save.
2. Go to Settings->Permalinks, in the left menu and select "Post name" then click save.
Install Your Chosen Theme
You can then upload your theme. Go to Appearance->Themes, then click "Add New" at the top of page. You can select a free theme on that page or upload your choosen theme in which case click the "Upload Theme" button at top of page. Once uploaded you then need to click the theme "Activate" button.
It is also recommened to make a child theme of your choosen theme. A child theme makes it much easier to customise your site design style and also preserves the changes you make to the styles when a theme update is available from the theme provider. Child themes are a little more complex to setup. You can check the WordPress Child Theme documentation, alternatively take advantage of our WordPress Setup & Prepping product listed at the bottom of this page.
Install the SiteOrigin Page Builder
To help building web pages it is highly recommened you install the SiteOrigin Page Builder plugin. This plugin makes it easy to add different functions and blocks of content to a web page.
Go to Plugins->Add New, then type "Page Builder by SiteOrigin" into the Search Plugins field on the right of page. Once the plugin appears click "Install Now". Once installed click "Activate".
Install the SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle
Install the SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle to extend the SiteOrigin Page Builder features. For example you will be able to easily add contact forms, image sliders or a Google map, and many more.
Go to Plugins->Add New, then type "SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle" into the Search Plugins field on the right of page. Once the plugin appears click "Install Now". Once installed click "Activate".
Start Building and Adding Content
You can start building webpages. To add a page go to Pages->Add New, in the left menu. WordPress offers many features and settings. Explore the WordPress dashboard to get an understanding of each one. It is mostly intuitive and you will soon come to learn how each feature works. If you get stuck or need more info about anything, answers can quickly be found by Googling your questions. WordPress is very popular which means answers and suggestions can be found quickly online. The WordPress and SiteOrigin Page Builder documenation pages can also be very helpful.
WordPress Setup & Prepping: Prefer to Save Time and Get It Done Correctly, Quickly?
If you would like more support we can do the WordPress Setup & Prepping for you, see our price below. This will save you time and get you to a point of adding content more quickly. Just choose a theme and we will do the rest for you. Or if you prefer we design your whole website check our website design prices.
Secure Site with SSL
Login Security Plugin
Create Child Theme
Install SiteOrigin Page Builder
Install SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle
Minimise Resource UsageOrder